CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Fire Grilled Fajitas


I never buy fajita seasoning anymore. I have used this homemade recipe so long, I love how convienent it is to just whip up a batch if I want Fajitas. I don't have to worry if I have a seasoning packet, in case that's what I am craving for dinner. We grilled the meat mix tonight, and I think we'll be doing it that way from now on. Grilling over the charcoal gave it an amazing smoky flavor!

Seasoning:
In a small bowl combine 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin; 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed ( I do this between my fingers, it releases the flavor); 1/2 tsp salt;1/4 tsp ground red pepper; 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder; and 1/2 tsp onion powder.


I take a tbsp or two of this mix (I just store in a container in my cupboard) and put it in a gallon ziploc bag. Add about 1 tbsp oil, 1 lb of chicken or steak sliced up thin, 1/2 each of at least 2 different colors of bell pepper, and 1/2 onion, thinly sliced. Shake up well and let sit in your fridge for a couple of hours if you want or cook it right away, either way works.


When I grilled it, I let the coals stay medium hot, and placed a doubled over sheet of aluminum foil on the grill. I grilled the chicken on this so it wouldn't fall through the grill since I had already sliced it. It cooked very quickly, about 10 minutes. I left the lid closed except when stirring the mix so it would get a nice smoky flavor.


Sometimes when I am cooking the meat mixture, I add a dash of lime juice. I highly recommend that. This time I added it to the seasoning and oil, kind of a fajita marinade thing. It has to be lime, lemon does not work.... trust me.

We like to serve our Fajitas with black beans, which I was out of, guacemole, which I didn't make tonight, and salsa and sour cream. Yumm!

0 Tasty Tidbits: