CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 8, 2008

Tomato & Chicken "Alfredo"

I know what you're thinking. "3 posts in 2 days? What's going on? Has something taken over Michelle?"

You never know....

There are plenty of nights I throw some sort of meat in a pan with a whole bunch of whatever I happen to see in the fridge and cupboard. Change it up this way and that way, throw some more of this in it. Usually it turns out pretty good. Tonight was no exception. In fact, I thought it interesting enough to post the recipe. Hubby actually thanked me for dinner, and the boys scarfed it down in about 2 seconds, so it must not have been just me who liked it.


3 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup sherry (or chicken broth)
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp each parsely, thyme, and sage (I used fresh from my garden)
1 can diced tomatoes

Heat oil and butter in a saucepan. Using both adds flavor to the chicken and helps it brown better. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the oil and saute until browned. Add the garlic and herbs, cook a minute or so more. Pour the wine it, scraping up the brown bits. Add the can of tomatoes, do not drain the juice out. Let that simmer on low to reduce the liquid by half while the pasta cooks.

1/2 box rotini

Heat salted water to boiling. Dump in pasta. I had 1/2 a box left from something so that's what I used. I think it was about 2 cups, maybe 2 1/2? Cook for about 9 minutes. 7-8 is "al dente" which my husband doesn't like, he doesn't think it's all the way done. 10 minutes and more makes it too mushy. (I am sure you have all done that, doesn't hold up in a sauce very well...) Drain and add to the chicken mixture.

1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup parmesan
1 stalk green onion, thinly sliced

It didn't look quite right yet. And we are trying to increase the calories of my really thin son who has a super fast metabolism. So I dumped in about 1/2 cup or so of heavy cream. I did thin it out with a little milk because the sauce was a little thick. Tossed in some parmesan and sliced green onion as an afterthought.

The son who doesn't eat hardly anything completely cleaned his plate. Hubby had two large servings. The baby wolfed it down, tomatoes and all. My methodical large-amounts eater did what he always does, ate it. I didn't have a huge serving, because of all the pasta I snuck while waiting for the broccoli to cook in the microwave.

It reminded me of alfredo, hence the "alfredo" in the title. Because it is not true alfredo sauce, just my cheater method. It's that parmesan flavor, I'm telling you!

Like I said, this experiment turned out good enough to warrant sharing with all of you. Enjoy!

2 Tasty Tidbits:

Stephanie said...

You know how I got people not my family to read my blog? I read theirs. I go foodie blog hopping and leave comments when I like what I see. People often will check back and look at your blog in return. Eventually, you get people that visit regularly. And when you look at lots of other blogs, you get ideas for how to improve your own.

Plus you get the equivalent of dozens of "cookbooks" for free that you can access anytime, and try lots of fun recipes! When you make recipes from other blogs, then let them know how it turned out, they really like that!

By the way, this mock alfredo looks really good. We may have to try that for lunch.

Stephanie said...

I tried it for lunch. I substituted squash for the chicken, and made a couple small alterations to use what we have. We loved it! I'm so glad you did decide to post this.