CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 29, 2008

Chicken Enchiladas

I have an enchilada recipe that I got from my mother-in-law years ago. I love it so much that it is the only one I use! The other day I wanted to make them, but I was short one chicken breast. This wouldn't have been a problem, but I wanted to make some to freeze too!

To stretch it I added a few things from the pantry, and we loved the result!




2 chicken breasts
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed a little
1 tbsp garlic
1 small can chopped green chilies
1 can tomato soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can mild enchilada sauce

Mix the soups and the sauce in a bowl. Set aside.

Cook the chicken breasts. You can either cute into small, bite-sized pieces and cook them, or cook them whole and shred them up. We have done both. Add the garlic, beans and chilies.

Mix in enough of the sauce to moisten. Spoon chicken mixture onto tortillas. Top with shredded cheese and roll up. Spread a little of the sauce in the bottom of the pan, and place the rolled tortillas in it. Once the pan is full, spoon and spread the sauce on top, and sprinkle on additional cheese.

Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes, until cheese is nice and bubbly. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.

This usually makes enough for 1 9x13 pan to eat that night and leftovers the next day, and 1 8x8 to freeze. Or 3 8x8's , which is what I did. We ate one, and the other two I froze. They will stay good for 2-3 months, depending on how well they are wrapped. To reheat from frozen- place pan in cold oven. Heat to 350, and bake for about 45 minutes. The heating helps to thaw it some, so it doesn't take quite so long to cook.

We very much enjoyed it this way, it is cheaper, and the beans make it more filling so we don't end up eating as much of them. I think this is how I will do them from now on!

1 Tasty Tidbits:

Michele said...

I think that I could make enchiladas three times a week and my boyfriend would be very happy. I've never made them with chicken...next batch I will try to. :-)