CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 29, 2008

Refried Beans

Alright, just FYI, I have published 3 other posts today. I was a little behind on recipes! And several seem to have a Mexican-ish theme. Or at least lots of common ingredients...

Saturday night, Hubby decided to start some beans. Unfortunately, he didn't realize it would take so long. So they sat overnight in the soaking water, like the directions say. I found them Sunday morning, and figured I would cook them that afternoon. Well, I forgot. I started them late evening instead, simmered for a while on nice and low. Then I forgot them again. We woke up to a very warm house this morning, and I couldn't figure out why! The thermostat wasn't set on 74, so why was the house that warm?

The beans! I had let the beans cook on low all night long, covered, which is why they didn't run out of water at all. Needless to say they were pretty soft. I got on the phone with my sister, Steph of Fun Foods on a Budget, who suggested maybe do some refried beans with them. Genius!!!! I gave it a shot.

I have never been a fan of refried beans. Ever. They just don't taste good, and the only time I have ever not-minded eating them was one particular restaurant that did them from scratch. I played around with some ingredients that I had, an offshoot of the more traditional way of making them. They turned out amazing! I am converted!



1 lb red kidney beans
1/3 - 1/2 cup shortening
2 packets sazon goya con cilantro y achiote (cilantro and annatto)*
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp salt

*The sazon goya is found in the hispanic section of your grocery store. A little orange/salmon and yellow box. There are two kinds, so be sure you get the one that says it has the "cilanto con achiote". There are several seasoning packets in each box, and I like to use them in lots of different dishes. They really give a great flavor, and kind of a reddish color.

Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse. Fill pan with enough water to cover the beans. Bring to a boil, boil for 30 minutes, then reduce to medium low. Leave on a gentle simmer, covered, all day. Or overnight. They should be VERY tender!

Drain. Mash well. They will a little dry. Melt 1/3 cup shortening in skillet. Stir in beans, seasoning, garlic and salt. Heat through. If it is too dry still, melt in some more shortening. I needed close to the 1/2 cup. You are looking for something close to the wetness of canned refried beans that have been heated. Taste and salt as needed.

Wow! I never could see the appeal of a bean and cheese burrito. Well, I took a picture of the beans, and then made one. I would have taken a picture of that, but I was too busy eating it and didn't want to stop! I am never buying canned again. And Hubby said this is the reason that he would never leave me... the things I can do with food. Very reasurring... ;-)

This should freeze well, which is what I will do. Some I will use to make burritos along with seasoned ground beef and cheese, and freeze them. Those will be really easy to pull out and microwave one for a lunch or snack!

1 Tasty Tidbits:

Stephanie said...

Lots of fun-looking foods today, Michelle! Those refried beans look great, and I love the idea of freezing burritos. By the way, the picture of the enchiladas several posts back is wonderful - great composition, lighting, focus and everything! And of course, it looks delicious. :-)