CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Onions



I know, I know. Another pork with apples recipe. It just tastes so good! But this one is a little different. I had thawed out the tenderloin, intending to roast it and serve little pork medallions. But we stayed late at the park, and I needed something that cooked quick. So instead of cooking the tenderloin whole, I cut it into 4 pieces, turned the cut side up between saran wrap, and pounded it flat. This makes for an unbelievable tender piece of meat! I do this occasionally for tenderloin sandwhiches on kaiser rolls.

1 pork tenderloin, cut into 4 pieces, pounded cut side up until about 1/2 inch thick

1 cup flour

1 tbsp cilantro

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

Mix this all on a plate. Dredge the meat in the flour mixture. Place in heated skillet with a couple tablespoons oil. Cook until both sides are golden brown, crispy, and meat is cooked through. Remove from pan onto platter, keep warm.

At this stage you can stop and use the meat for above mentioned sandwhiches. Great with muenster cheese melted over the meat, and coleslaw on top! I love kaiser rolls, they have a nice chew that goes well with the tender meat and crisp coleslaw.

What I did tonight was add:

1 apple, granny smith, cored, cut in half, and VERY thinly sliced

1 small onion about apple size, cut in half and also very thinly sliced

2 tbsp butter

1/2 cup apple juice

1/4 cup cooking wine, I used marsala, or chicken broth

I placed this all in the hot skillet, brought it to a simmer, and cooked it until the onions and apples were mostly tender, the liquid was almost gone, and everything was starting to turn brown. Then I placed it on top of the pork and let it sit for a bit for the juices to sink in.

Mark said, and I quote, "This is the best pork ever!" Because it was so tender, you could almost cut it with a fork! I loved the flavor, and the still somewhat crunchy of the apples. I may have thrown this together at last minute using 2 or 3 recipes together, but I think I created a new family favorite that I will be cooking again!

1 Tasty Tidbits:

Stephanie said...

Looks good! If we ever get pork tenderloin, this is what we'll do with it!