CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 23, 2008

Lime-Garlic Chicken

I got a little tired of pork, but was not wanting something as heavy as beef. So I thought I would do something to use the chicken leg quarters I had seperated into thighs and drumsticks. I am out of chicken breast until the next sale I happen across, since I refuse to pay $2.37 a pound when I can get it for $1.88 or less.

I didn't have 8 hours to marinade, but 4 is better than nothing. And with the amount of acid in this recipe, I figured it wouldn't make that much of a difference!




1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried cilantro or ground coriander (which I didn't have so subbed the cilantro.)
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
2-3 kafir lime leaves ( had them laying around so thought I would stick them in. Pull out before cooking if you use them, they are dried like bay leaves but edible)
small shake of red pepper flakes ( I added for kicks, literally)

In a large plastic bag, mix lime juice, vinegar, garlic and seasonings. Add in a bunch of mixed bone-in chicken pieces. I used thighs and drumsticks, but it calls for breasts. A mix is cheaper and a good idea. Enough to feed your family.

Marinade 8 hours, or overnight. I did 4 hours, and it turned out fine. But I'll bet it would be brilliant overnight!
Discard marinade. In a skillet, brown chicken on all sides in oil. Transer to a baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 30 -35 minutes, or until juices run clear.

0 Tasty Tidbits: