CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Orange Dream Trifle

I had a little trouble with what to call this recipe. Orange Dream? Orange Cream? I thought maybe Tropical Trifle? I am not sure, so I am sticking with Orange Dream for now.

This was really a lot of fun to put together. I just used a clear plastic serving bowl I found for a couple dollars, instead of an expensive trifle dish. Worked just fine. It turned out way bigger that I expected, so I would make this for a churchy thing, or scale it way back for just our family. All 5 of us had hefty servings, and we barely made a dent...



For the Cake:

1 yellow cake mix
1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, at least slightly thawed
1/3 cup oil
3 large or 4 medium eggs
1 cup water
1/2 cup sweetened flake coconut

Beat the orange juice and the oil together. Add eggs and water, beat well. Mix in the cake mix and the coconut, stir until mixed thoroughly.

Pour into a gread 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Check to make sure it is done. Let cool for 10 minutes, then flip out onto cooling rack and let cool completely. Cut cake into 1 inch strips, then 2 inch sections. Cake will be crumbly, so just cut as best as you can.

Pudding

2 small pkgs vanilla pudding
3 2/3 cups milk
1 cup cool whip
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained

Whisk together the milk and the pudding. Let sit in fridge for a few minutes to set. Stir in the pineapple and then fold in the cool whip. Store in fridge.

To Assemble

1 large (the tall) cans mandarine oranges
1 tall can pineapple chunks
1 large container cool whip
1 bag sweetened coconut ( I got the big bag and used some for the cake, and the rest for the assembly)

Place half of the cake in the bottom of the bowl, press in firmly. I used the crumbs to and pressed a little to set them. Layer half the pudding mixture, spread evenly. Half the coconut is sprinkled on top, then arrange half the oranges and half the pineapple chunks. Top with half the cool whip. Repeat layers. You should have 2 layers of each.

Take a picture and pat yourself on the back. Then make your husband clean up the mess in exchange for getting to eat dessert. (that actually did not happen, but I was considering it)

This looks really pretty in the bowl, but it doesn't exactly sit pretty on the plate. Kind of plops on. But it tastes delicious anyhow!


1 Tasty Tidbits:

Stephanie said...

Holy cow, I'm drooling all over the keyboard! That looks fabulous!

I gotta get me a clear bowl. When I make trifle it just doesn't work - I have nothing to present it in!