CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Slow Cooked Carnita Tacos

I know, I know... another pork recipe. Problem is, pork is cheaper than beef, so I tend to buy more pork roasts and chops than beef roasts and steaks. This very simple recipe would work with beef or chicken so it is very versatile. And let me tell you, it is good!

I do regret to inform you that I did not make homemade tortillas, and I bought the salsa verde. I know, I am ashamed of myself too.




2 pounds of some sort of boneless pork meat, boneless ribs or a roast, cut into 1 1/2 ich pieces
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp dried oregano, if you can get mexican oregano it is great, if not, use what you've got
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin (hah, I bet you thought I would say 2 there huh!)
1 small-medium onion, cut into 4 wedges

Toss the pork with the spices, make sure all the pieces are coated. Place in crock pot and top with onion wedges. Cook on low for 6 hours or until meat is falling apart. *Stir about halfway through so the pieces don't get "glued" together.

Or you can cook on high for 2 hours, and then on low for 2 more if you don't get it started in time. :)

Pull the meat out of the crock pot, let cool a little. Shred either using fingers or two forks. Set meat aside.

In a large skillet, heat a couple tbsp of oil. When pan is hot, add the meat and let cook for a minute. Then add the juices from the crock pot into the meat, stirring around. Leave the onion in the crock pot, it was just for flavor. Cook and stir until the juices are almost gone and meat starts to look a little dry again. It's not supposed to be soggy, it is supposed to be on the dryer side.

Arrange on a platter. Serve with red pepper slices, avacado slices, and sprigs of cilantro alongside if desired. (I ate it that way and it was really good!) I also would advise finding some SALSA VERDE or TOMATILLO SALSA. An excellent compliment to the meat and avacado.

1 Tasty Tidbits:

Stephanie said...

What a great picture - you arranged it so well! I think this sounds so delicious!