CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 23, 2008

Salsa Verde Burgers

I really like a good, moist burger. I don't care if it is "lower if fat", I'm eating a burger because I want to not because I am on a diet! But it just so happens that this burger is moist and lower in fat at the same time! I guess I get the best of both worlds with this one.



The meat was so juicy that I thought about squeezing some of the juice out and I had to wait until it was almost done cooking to flip it over and brown the other side. I did add some crushed soda crackers to help absorb some of the excess.



I didn't have large tomatoes, or kaiser rolls, so behold! My sandwich bread and cherry tomato substitute! Not bad, but if I was to do this again, I would toast the bread slightly to offset the juicy burger.

1 pound ground turkey
1/2 cup salsa verde (you can find in the refrigerated deli or the veggies if not on the shelves)
1/4 cup crushed soda crackers if needed.


Mix together. Form into 4 patties. Carefully cook, avoiding turning over until it is mostly cooked and a little firmer. Then use a spatula, not tongs. I used a George Foreman on medium heat, because at 98 degrees outside, grilling was not an option! When cooked, place some slices of Pepper Jack cheese on top and let the heat melt it.


Avocado Mayonnaise:
1/2 half avocado, mashed
1/2 cup mayonnaise (or light, or miracle whip if you like)
1 clove garlic, minced very fine. Or mash it through a press.


Mix together and let sit while burgers are cooking


To put together:
Lightly toast 4 kaiser rolls cut in half. Spread bottom half with avocado mayo, arrange some sprigs of fresh cilantro (you're going to want them, yum!), and top with burger patty. Add a nice slice of tomato and crispy lettuce and eat up!


This was not too spicy for my kids, who devoured it. Half a burger was just right for them, leaving Mark with 2, just right for him! This has really good flavor, maybe because I used fresh deli salsa verde. But our commissary doesn't carry the bottled stuff. I have tried both at one time or another, and either one would be appropriate here.

0 Tasty Tidbits: