CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Seasoned Skillet Pork Chops

I seem to like cooking pork chops. That amuses me since I didn't taste one until college.


This is a very flavorful pork rub. It would also be phenomenal on a pork roast!

1 tbsp dried parsley
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried rubbed sage
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp marjoram


Mix all herbs together, crushing dried leaves between fingers as you mix to release oils. Rub over both sides of pork chops. I used small boneless chops, as they cook very quickly. Let sit at room temperature while you get the pan ready.

Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat with a couple tbsp oil until oil is hot. Add pork chops. Cook, browning both sides, until the pork chop is cooked through and a really nice golden brown. Remove from skillet and keep warm.

If you want, and I recommend, add a tiny bit of butter and some chicken broth to the skillet to get up all the yummy brown bits, scraping the pan. About a 1/2 cup chicken broth. Then let the broth simmer until it is reduced by half. Pour over pork and let soak in for a few minutes. I did use white wine mixed with the chicken broth, but that is optional.

This was moist and juicy, and had an amazing flavor! It went great with mashed potatoes and onion gravy. I think I like cooking pork because you can do sweet or savory with it, beef has such a strong flavor that it dominates the dish. Plus, sweet beef? I don't think so...

0 Tasty Tidbits: