CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 17, 2008

Mom's Potato Soup

I was reading a post on soups from Michele's blog, Life, Lightly Salted, and it got me wanting my Mom's potato soup! I tend to make it more like a good stew rather than a soup, but everything else is the same. Right down to the big dollop of butter I always put on top. I am so going to die fat and happy! This isn't your normal creamy potato soup, but it's what I grew up with and love.




1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
3 large potatoes, in 1 inch cubes
2-3 beef bullion cubes
20 or so baby carrots, or huge man handful, cut in half
milk and flour

Brown beef and onions together. Set aside.

In a large pot, add potatoes and carrots. Add enough water to cover potatoes, plus an inch or so. Bring to boil, throw in a couple bullion cubes. Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender but not mushy. Add your beef and onion mixture. Heat threw.

I use about 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk and 3-4 tbsp flour. Shake or wisk or whatever together like you would water and flour to make your thickener. Pour into your soup an stir well. Let simmer until thickened, season to taste with salt and pepper.

For the ultimate experience, serve with buttered rolls or bread, and plop a couple tsp of margarine/salted butter on top. Yummmm!

2 Tasty Tidbits:

Stephanie said...

Oh the nostalgia! I love this stew, right down to the dollop of butter. :-) You'll have to do Mom's cabbage stew as well sometime.

Michele said...

I will be trying your Mom's version this weekend. It looks perfect for Phil's girls, they can be picky at times...but this soup has foods that they love. I really like the part of the recipe that says a huge man handful. Very interesting source of measurement!