CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 24, 2008

Hawaiin Haystacks

For those of you who have had these little babies, sorry for posting the chicken gravy recipe. But, I did make a change in the dish!

For everyone else who has not experienced the joy, buckle up your seat belts!



What's that? Something doesn't look right? Oh, you've just spotted my small substitution. Nothing major... just noodles instead of rice. :-) And guess what! I like it better! That's right, heresy it's not, yummy is what it is!

Chicken Gravy

2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 can cream of chicken soup
milk, about 1/2 the soup can worth or so
1 tbsp thinkly sliced green onion

Heat in a saucepan until heated through.

Cook according to package directions - 1/2 box linguine noodles, broken into 3rds

Toppings:

Shredded cheese
Chopped tomato
Sliced olives
Thawed frozen peas
Chow mein noodles
Coconut
Dried fruit - apricots, cranberries, raisins
Sliced green onions
Pineapple chunks

Plop some noodles in a bowl, ladle some of the chicken gravy over them. Then layer on whatever toppings you want! Trust me on the dried fruit, it's really good with the gravy and cheese!

You can use rice instead of noodles if you want, but I find the rice soaks in more of the juice and leaves the dish somewhat drier. The noodles keep everything good and juicy!

These are great for kids and picky eaters, since everybody puts on whatever they want. The rule at our house is that if you stick it on your haystack, you have to eat the haystack. And I've never had bad one yet!

3 Tasty Tidbits:

Stephanie said...

Hawaiian Haystacks with noodles? Sounds interesting, and worth a try! I love Hawaiian Haystacks. Remember that time you and I went to Marks' family reunion and they served that? And we didn't know hardly anyone. But the food was sure good. :-)

AMI said...

I've tagged you.... if you want to play, follow me!

Mrs.D said...

I just starred this recipe in my google reader so I can remind myself to make it sometime. It looks and sounds so yummy.