CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 17, 2008

Tuna Pinwheels

I don't recall having an actual recipe for this, but I made this the first time when I was around 11. Yep, Mom got me started young! These fun pinwheels have been in the back of my recipe files for some time then, and I finally pulled out the recipe the other day.

I have always made these with tuna, but my friend wanted to donate chicken to our dinner. We didn't like it very much. The chicken is drier, and didn't seem to have a strong enough flavor. The recipe posted here uses tuna, because trust me, it tastes better!


1 recipe baking powder biscuit dough
1 onion, chopped small
1 tsp minced garlic
2 cans tuna, drained
peas- either 1 can rinsed and drained well or 1 cup thawed frozen peas
1 egg, beaten
about 2 cups grated cheese

Saute chopped onion in butter until softened. Mix together the onion, garlic, peas and tuna. Stir in the egg.

Roll your biscuit dough to about 3/8 inch, in a square or rectangle. Basically, don't let it get too thin or it will rip like crazy when you roll it.

Gently spread the filling over the dough. Keep it about 1 1/2 inch from the edge of the dough.





Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.



Carefully roll up and seal the edge. Cut into 1 1/2 to 2 inch slices. It's easiest to wiggle a long piece of thread under the roll. Bring the ends up, cross them, and pull. The crossed thread will pull down through the roll, cutting the dough and filling to make your slice.



Carefully ease it down onto a spatula and place on a lightly grease baking sheet. Or cover the sheet with parchment paper first.


Bake at 375 until dough is done and top is slightly browned. Serve with more cheese on top if desired.

I never remember to note how long mine cook for. Sorry...




The recipe I used this time for the biscuits is a "supreme" recipe, and the dough rises really high in the oven. I don't think that helped the dryness any. You could also use frozen bread dough. Thaw it out and roll it out. Maybe I'll try that next time?

0 Tasty Tidbits: