CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 29, 2008

Smokey Turkey Joes

Sorry everyone. I have been gone for quite a while, I know, and it has been driving me crazy. I sort of took some time off from all domestic duties, partly due to some mild depression. But I not only cooked something today, I made up the recipe! And it actually tasted good enough to have Oren, who is 6, to inform me that I have to make these on Mondays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Forever....


1 lb ground turkey
1 tbsp dried onions
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup chopped frozen spinach
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
1 tbsp smoked red paprika (it has to be smoked.....)
1 tbsp cilantro
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 minute rice
1 cup water

Pour a little oil in a skillet. Brown the turkey with the onions and garlic. Add the frozen chopped spinach, it will thaw in the pan with the turkey. Season with salt and pepper to taste, the cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, cilantro, and tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer.

Stir in the minute rice and water. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and liquid is gone.

We served our turkey joes on pub buns, they are a little thicker than hamburger buns. Kaiser rolls would be a great choice too. Put under the broiler for a couple minutes... I buttered the inside of the rolls and sprinkled on some onion powder before I broiled them.

We really liked these! The taste is awesome enough that you wouldn't think it's ground turkey. I added a dash of hot sauce to mine halfway through, and that was good. The smoked paprika is what gives it that smokey flavor, and it an essential ingredient. They would be alright with just regular paprika I would imagine, but you really should invest in some smoked paprika. McKormic's gourmet collection in the glass jars, I think it was a couple bucks.

And it wouldn't just be for this recipe. Smoked paprika on deviled eggs is to die for! Put it on your deviled eggs and you'll have people trying to guess what made your eggs so yummy. Mix it in with the mayo to be really sneaky! I'm telling you, I love this stuff! I'll even flip the lid and just smell it sometimes! (Is that wierd? Sorry...)

2 Tasty Tidbits:

Anonymous said...

smoked paprika is always the way to go!

Reeni said...

I understand about you smelling the paprika just because you like it-I do the same thing with Cumin. These Turkey Joes do look pretty awesome!! Happy New Year!