CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

German chocolate-ginger cake Trifle

Again, it seems like it has been forever. But I have decided to sit in one place for a while today, kicked my husband off the computer, and found some more recipes I never got posted!

I had signed up for a dessert for our Christmas party but had no idea what I would throw together. I had about 3 boxes of german chocolate cake mix, some random pudding mixes, and a bunch of heavy whipping cream. Aha!






1 box of german chocolate cake mix
1 tsp cinammon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
pinch cloves
3 eggs
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil

Mix together just like a regular cake mix. Grease a jellyroll pan or cookie sheet. Pour the batter in the pan, and sprinkle the top liberally with sugar. Bake at 350 for around 20 minutes. Cool and cut into 1 to 2 inch squares.

1 box french vanilla and 1 box pumpkin spice pudding mixes, made with pudding pie directions so it is thicker set.

Heavy cream and sugar

Whip together with a little cinnamon for whipped cream, or add some cinnamon to cool whip.

Layer together in a trifle dish, try to refrain from "tasting" too much of it. Chill for 2-3 hours. Send a full bowl to Christmas Party with friend, attend boring work party instead. Recover bowl from friend's fridge later with barely enough left for 1 serving!

1 Tasty Tidbits:

Stephanie said...

There was something similar to this (with gingerbread instead of chocolate cake) in a Taste of Home magazine or book or something. It looked so delicious, and so does yours! I really wish I had a trifle dish, I look for something that would work every time we go to D.I. but I have yet to luck out.