CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bacon and Sundried Tomato Alfredo!

Right, so I know it's been nearly 6 months since my last post, and for that I apologize. However, January and February were very busy, and in February we found out life was just going to get more hectic! We are expecting boy #4 around the middle of October!


So after 3 months of being too tired, and nauseous to really cook anything at all, in addition to my insane schedule of therapy and piano lessons, and then another 1 1/2 months of being just too tired and busy to cook much of anything inspiring, I am happy to say that I finally have found some energy!


So I dug around in one of my new cookbooks, a Weight Watchers magazine, because I have to really watch my diet since I have gestational diabetes. This is a 5 ingredient, 15 minute recipes magazine, which sounded perfect for me. It was so hard to choose, but I settled on a nice Alfredo and some grilled asparagus.

Bacon and Sun-Dried Tomato Alfredo Pasta

8 ounces multigrain penne


1 10 ounce package refrigerated alfredo sauce, or regular jarred sauce
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil and cut into julienne strips
4 slices bacon
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 tsp black pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.

While pasta cooks, combine alfredo sauce and tomatoes. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally , 6-8 minutes or until thoroughly heated and tomatoes are juicy and plump. While sauce cooks, microwave bacon until crisp. Takes about 1 minute per slice in my microwave, so about 4 minutes total. Let bacon cool and crumble. Set aside.

Combine pasta and sauce in large bowl. Mix in the bacon, basil, and pepper. Place in mouth and enjoy!

My 2-yr old ate 2 servings of this, and my other kids gobbled up their plates too. If I wasn't watching my carbs like a hawk to avoid a 12 pound baby, I would have had seconds myself!


Grilled Asparagus

1 pound fresh asparagus- I recommend the thin ones
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper

Prepare Grill. I set it to high, to heat the grill plate. Cleaned it off with a brush and turned it down to medium.

Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus.

Combine olive oil and next 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add asparagus to bag, seal and shake to coat.

Place asparagus on grill rack. Grill about 2 minutes or until crisp tender. I did this with the lid closed. Remove and serve immediately.

I had to do a taste test of this, and um.... I could have eaten it like it was candy! It had this great smoky flavor, with just the right amount of a tang from the vinegar. I guess you could do this under the broiler and it would be fine, but is so much better with a grill!

1 Tasty Tidbits:

Stephanie said...

Yum. The alfredo looks good, but that asparagus seriously is making me drool.