CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cranberry Glazed Ham

IE- the only ham with personality at the church Christmas Party!




I volunteered to cook a ham for our church's Christmas party, even though we were planning on going to my husband's work party that same evening instead. No one else had signed up for it, so I figured I would. (Don't worry, they had some last minute people decided to pitch in.)

I didn't want to just do a regular, boring old ham. Or the normal pineapple clove thing.... Why not get a little festive? Again, I dug into my magic cupboards and fridge, and pulled forth the following glaze recipe.

1/2 can jellied cranberry sauce
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
splash red wine
splash of orange juice

I mixed all these in a saucepan and heated them through. The ham came presliced, so I took a big thing of dried minced onion and had some fun. I inserted about 1/2 tsp in between each slice, which took a while but was actually quite fun. Then the glaze was liberally smeared over the ham and I placed it in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes, covered with foil. Basted with the juice, reapplied the glaze, another 20 minutes. Took off foil, last bit of the glaze went on, back in for 10-15 minutes. Just enough to dry some of the glaze on.

There was none of this left. I asked for my friend's honest opinion since I wasn't there to enjoy any. She said it was the most festive one on the table. And that while it isn't "the ham", the one recipe that she will always use when she cooks a ham, it was delicious enough that if it was on the buffet table, she knows which one she'll be taking! If anyone makes this, let me know what you think!

2 Tasty Tidbits:

AMI said...

that looks delicious! you haven't posted in a while!! :-(

Sook said...

Ooh yum!! I have been looking for good glaze recipe for hams! Thanks for sharing!