CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spicy Slow Cooked Pork




This recipe started out as Provencal Pork Roast, but I didn't have Zuccini, or Italian Herb Diced Tomatoes, so I started thinking. All I had was diced tomatoes with green chiles, I had some onions, and lots of garlic. So Spicy Slow Cooked Pork was born.


Sprinkle a 2-3 lb boneless pork roast with seasoning salt (I used Lawrys), pepper, and garlic powder. Brown in a skillet for a few minutes on all sides. This locks the flavor in. Place in center of your crock pot. Mine is a 5-quart so there was plenty of room on the sides.

Cut the potatoes into 3/4 inch -1 inch slices. Then cut the slices in half. I used about 6 or 7 potatoes, smallish ones like for mashing, not baking. Spread around the roast. If you have a smaller pot, you could do some potatoes on the bottom, then the roast, then more potatoes around. The idea is to surround the roast.


I chopped an onion and sprinkled the pieces around over the roast and potatoes. Over top this I put in some more garlic, fresh and minced.


Take one can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. Mix in a small bowl with 2 tbsp flour, about 1 tbsp cumin, and I happen to have saffron so I took a small pinch, placed it in a little bit of hot water, and swirled it around until the water was yellow. Then I poured it into the tomato mixture. The tomato stuff is then poured over the top of the pork roast and potatoes.


Put the lid on your crock pot and leave on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8. I used the high heat and the pot roast was done perfectly. Sliced very easily and could be pulled apart, but didn't fall apart when I lifted it out of the crock pot.


Take out the potatoes and pork, leave as much sauce as you can. Slice some olives, I used about 1/2 a can, in half and put into the sauce. Let it heat up and serve it over the pork!



On a side note, this was definetely spicy. Next time I would just cook the roast and onions in the tomato sauce, and roast the potatoes seperatly. The potatoes soaked up so much of the green chile spicyness that I had to serve the potatoes with a little sour cream to tone it down a little. The roast was fabulous, all the heat was in the sauce and the pork just had a terrific flavor, so without the sauce it's just fine for little ones. This will be one we make again, with the potato changes. Yumm!

1 Tasty Tidbits:

Stephanie said...

Wow, that looks great! And you're right, it did need peas. Just makes the whole plate look pulled together. Great job!