CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 18, 2008

Parmesan Crusted Chicken & Lemon Veggie Penne




Another one of those what am I fixing for dinner kind of nights... So I fell back on a couple recipes that I have used often, and changed them up a little bit!

A friend dropped by dinner after I had our second son, so I wouldn't have to cook or suffer through my husband's idea of cooking. This chicken dish was on the menu, and it was so good I had to call her that same night and get the recipe. (I love friends who give out recipes!) I have made it again, and again, and it gets rave reviews every time!

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup bread crumbs, italian or regular
1/3 cup parmesan
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp parsley
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 tbsp butter

Mix all the dry ingredients in one dish. Melt the butter in another. Pat chicken dry, dip it in the butter, and then coat it in the crumbs. I like a nice, thick coating to help hold in the juice and stay crispy after baking.

Bake at 375, I think mine took about 20 minutes. Forgot to time it, sorry... (petulant frown)




Lemon Veggie Penne

1/2 box penne
4 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 cups chunky diced yellow squash
2 tsp dried basil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 medium tomato, diced into roughly the same size as squash
1/4 cup parmesan

Bring pot of water to boil, add penne, cook for 9-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in large saucepan, melt the 4 tbsp butter. Add the garlic, saute quickly, maybe 30 seconds so it doesn't get too browned and become bitter. Add the squash, and basil. Saute another 5 minutes, squash should be cooked but not mushy. I like a little bite left to it. Throw in your lemon juice, stir it up and heat through.

Toss the sauce and the pasta together in a large bowl. Let it cool down a minute or two and toss with the tomatoes and parmesan. Is good warm or cold

I seasoned with some fresh parsley and thyme for a little green color that I tossed in with the tomatoes.

My questioning 6-year old took his required one bite of the squash, looked up in slight amazement and said, "Mommy, this is good! I think I like it!" Score! The rest of the family enjoyed it, although the 2 year old didn't eat the squash he devoured the pasta and the chicken vanished pretty quickly too. My 4 year old will eat anything, just plows steadily through his plate, but the quicker he eats it the more he likes it, and he ate it relatively quickly too. I'll be doing this version of lemon pasta again.

Go ahead, prove to those doubters that squash really can taste good!

2 Tasty Tidbits:

smbwallace said...

Sounds yummy! I'll have to try these when it cools off. My one-year-old son loves yellow squash just sliced and steamed!

Elle said...

What a fantastic dinner! i love new ways of using veggies--that looks really good!