CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 20, 2008

Roasted Fall Vegetables

I was reading Life, Lightly Salted (see side bar) and Michele was asking for savory apple ideas. My gears got turning and several ideas popped out. Boiled apples pureed with mustard and salt over chicken? Maybe... Roasted somehow with something? Sounds even better!





1 small to medium butternut squash
2 apples, I used gala, but any firm apple will do, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
1 onion, cut in half and then into wedges
olive oil
salt and pepper
2 tsp thyme
2-3 tsp minced garlic

Cut your squash into 2 inch slices. Cut those into quarters. Place into a microwaveable dish with a tbsp of water. Microwave for about 4-5 minutes until somewhat tender. Cut skin from squash.

Put all the veggie wedges in a glass baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, I used a couple tbsp. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and the thyme. Add the garlic, toss to mix.

Roast, uncovered, at 425 for somewhere around 20-30 minutes. I didn't keep track, sorry.

We had friends eating with us, and her kids liked the apples and ate the squash. My kids ate the onions, liked the squash, and loved the apples. The 3 adults had huge servings, and were sad that there wasn't more of it! Granny Smith would have been too tangy, we found the Gala to be mild enough to take the savory, and firm enough to go tender but not mushy! Yumm!


The chicken in the background is a standard sauteed recipe that I use often. Especially when I want meat but a veggie or pasta dish is the star of the meal.

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
olive oil

Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Pat the chicken breasts dry. Sprinkle salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder over both sides of the chicken. Sautee in hot oil until just done and nicely browned on both sides. I don't completely thaw my chicken in the microwave because I don't want the edges to cook. It took about 10 minutes on each side to cook all the way, but if yours are totally thawed because you were smart and put them in the fridge the night before, do 7-8 minutes per side and check it.

Ours turned out perfectly done, no pink and really juicy! Great flavor and really easy.

3 Tasty Tidbits:

Stephanie said...

That really looks good! I think it sounds much better than pureed with mustard... ;-) I think apple and squash is a wonderful flavor combination.

Michele said...

what a wonderful idea! I've got three different varieties of squash in my veg drawers right now. I'll try this idea out tomorrow and serve it with london broil. :-)

AMI said...

Nothing like a chicken dinner....!